Anyone is able to make a formal request for public information of state and local agencies in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania under the Right to Know Law (RTKL). People can also request information from Federal agencies under the Freedom of Information Act.
There’s a lot to know about the process before making a request under RTKL and FOIA, so we’re assembling a set of resources, and looking to organize a set of workshops and training sessions. We also hope to work directly with local public agencies to improve the processes around making and responding to RTKL requests.
For more information:
- The Pennsylvania Office of Open Records provides information about RTKL and the process for making a request.
- The Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association also provides information about RTKL and resources for those making a request.
- FOIA.gov provides information on FOIA, including details in how to make a request, and statistics about FOIA requests.
- The Federal Office of Government Information Services has advice for those contemplating a FOIA request.
- There is also a new openFOIA Website being developed to manage FOIA requests by the Federal government.